07 January 2010

An Evening With Elizabeth Gilbert...


7 January 2010

 Elizabeth Gilbert, author of Eat, Pray, Love stops in DC at the Historic Synagogue to promote
her latest book, Committed: A Skeptic Makes Peace with Marriage.


I can only begin by expressing how friggin’ excited I was to see Liz.  My yoga buds and I shared the experience of reading Eat, Pray, Love together in our first book club and I will never forget the wonderful memories which took place in my living room, drinking wine, eating cheese and discussing the book with some of my favorite gals.

I  sat in a packed house of 400 people, mostly women, of all ages waiting to hear what the best-selling, rockin’ female author had to say (I had a killer seat in the 3rd row). I learned that Gilbert is an advocate of gay rights, not a fan of the concept of soul mates, and hates giving people relationship advice. After a brief reading and question and answer session, Gilbert autographed books and graciously took photos with the few of us fans left over. She was so humble with the audience, thanking each supporter for their time, attendance, and patience. When it was my turn for a snapshot with Liz I asked her if she still did yoga. She turned to me, threw her head back, and in a sweet and perky voice replied, “Well yes I do my dear!” I told her I practiced yoga as well and just as she was about to say something to me, the photographers interrupted and prompted us to look at the camera. She once again thanked me for coming and I thanked her for her insight.

I’m only in the second chapter of Committed and have laughed, gasped, cried, and struggled to close its pages and patiently wait until I can open it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment